[ARC Review] The Worst Guy by Kate Canterbary

In The Worst Guy, two Boston-area surgeons fight like cats and dogs over every little thing while at the hospital. But outside the hospital. . . at home. . . in the bedroom, is a completely different matter. But can Sebastian and Sara put aside their differences enough to realize just how right they are for each other, or will Sebastian continue to be the worst guy, and be the worst guy for Sara? 

Usually, medical romance isn't on the top of my list, but I might have to revise my list after reading The Worst Guy. Canterbary created a romance that contained just enough medical jargon to come across as realistic, yet didn't overdo it so I felt like I had to constantly try to keep up with the dialogue. I really enjoyed both of these main characters. Sebastian is grumpy, and scares most of the interns and even some of the other surgeons. Sara is a reformed people-pleaser; I loved her internal battles over what is the right thing for her. Sara is also recovering from an eating disorder, one that she keeps very private. And yes, the moment when she opens up and finally discusses it with someone is beautiful. 

I love a good enemies-to-lovers romance and a workplace romance, and The Worst Guy brought both of these tropes together so well. It took a while to get there, but Sara and Sebastian worked great together and it was a wonderful moment when they both decided they wanted to try. The steam was definitely a four out of five for me, and there was plenty of it.  

I thought The Worst Guy was a pretty quick read, but mostly because I had a hard time putting it down. I loved the main characters, I thought all the secondary characters were fun, and by far my favorite part was the journeys Sebastian and Sara went on in order to be able to love the other. They both had to reevaluate who they were and decide to be a better version of themselves before they were comfortable committing to another person. I loved seeing that on the page, and that was the real draw of Sebastian and Sara's story for me. 

A huge thank you to the author and Grey's Promotions for providing a review copy of The Worst Guy.

--------------------

Release date: 12/28/21
Format: eARC 

Popular Posts