[Audiobook Review] The Cheat Sheet by Sarah Adams

Bree Camden might be in love with her best friend and star quarterback, Nathan Donelson. But even though Nathan has always put her before any of his actual girlfriends (much to their despise), Nathan and Bree have always been platonic. Sure, Nathan might be secretly taking care of Bree behind the scenes, but they're definitely nothing more than friends. Until Bree imbibes a little too much and tells a reporter how she really feels about Nathan. With this new knowledge, Nathan is ready to take his and Bree's friendship to the next level, but just like in football, Nathan is going to need a little help from his cheat sheet. 

I thought The Cheat Sheet was a cute, closed door rom-com. I thought, based on the cover, that there would be more actual sports involved in the storyline, but it was surprisingly easy to understand any sports references Adams did use, and there was very little actual game time in the plot. Bree was a relatable main character - even though I have no background in dance - and I found her to be quite likeable. Even though I don't personally know any professional football players, Nathan seemed like a realistic star athlete; he was always looking out for his teammates, making sure they were getting in plenty of practice and rest. Classified as a closed door/clean romance, Bree and Nathan's relationship was cute more than spicy and I enjoyed listening to them take the steps from friends to more. I don't usually go for the tame rom-coms, but The Cheat Sheet was cute and I would definitely recommend this one for anyone looking for a friends-to-lovers romance that keeps in clean but still provides the laughs. 

While I did listen to the audiobook of The Cheat Sheet, I can't help but wonder if I would have loved the story more had I read it instead of listened to it. I absolutely did not hate the narration, but I didn't love it, either. I didn't really find anything memorable about the audiobook narration. I probably would've been better off reading a physical copy of the book rather than listening to it. My personal tastes weren't immediately lulled by Dorian's cadence or tones, but I don't know if that is due to the narrator, this particular book, or a combination of the two. 

Overall, I found the story to be cute but had no real feelings either way regarding the narration. 

Thank you to Dreamscape Media for providing an ALC of The Cheat Sheet via Netgalley.

--------------------

Release date: 8/11/21 (book)/12/14/21 (audio)
Format: ALC
ALC provided by: Dreamscape Media via Netgalley

Popular Posts