[ARC Review] Bo Next Door by Duckie Mack

Readers first met up-and-coming rock star Ian "Crow" McGuire in All the Stars, the first Love Bank Romance book. While love might not have been in the cards back then, Ian's getting the chance to discover if the sparks he feels with Bodhi are real, or if the handsome animal lover is just another Bo Next Door

I loved seeing Rider and Cam get together in All the Stars, so I could not wait to see love unfold for someone else in Bo Next Door. While Ian obviously wasn't right for Rider, I was excited when I heard that Ian would get his turn in the second book. Mack definitely didn't disappoint when it comes to Ian and Bo's story; she gives us sweet romance, plenty of spice, fights and resolutions, and one of the most beautiful and honest love stories featuring a trans man I've ever read. 

[Before I get too far into how much I loved Bo's story and the love between Bo and Ian, I have to first state that these opinions are coming from a cis female and my thoughts and feelings on Bo's story have no basis on the actual experiences of a trans man. I cannot possibly understand the experience, and do not pretend to. I loved Mack's character, but I do not presume to know the experiences trans men go through, specifically when entering relationships.] 

Bo Next Door follows Bodhi Anderson and his sister Lane as they move and head out on their own for the first time. These two had such fantastic sibling dynamics; Lane was everything a big sister should be for Bo, and I wouldn't hate it if Lane got her own Love Bank Romance one day. I thought Bo was really well done (aforementioned note notwithstanding). While I obviously don't have the experience to validate everything Bo went though, I thought Mack did a wonderful job portraying everything on the page. Bo's story, his fears, his passions - it all came across as honest and heartfelt. Mack made Bo brave, and was able to dive deeper into the relationship between Bo and Ian because of that bravery. Layers were peeled back, fictional or not, and I truly enjoyed how beautiful their love was to read. 

Ian really came into his own in this book. He caught my attention in All the Stars, but he grew as a person, as a boyfriend, and as Crow - his lead singer alter ego - in Bo Next Door. Ian was sweet, caring, and understanding; he was everything that Bo needed and deserved. 

With spicy romance, a sweet plot, and fantastic representation, I really enjoyed Bo Next Door and can't wait to read the next book in Duckie Mack's Love Bank Romance series.

A huge thank you to the author and Gay Romance Reviews for providing an advanced copy of Bo Next Door for review.

--------------------

Release date: 1/9/22
Format: eARC
eARC provided via: Gay Romance Reviews

Popular Posts