[Review] The Beast by Jenika Snow

Publisher's synopsis: What if the Beast never turned into the prince?

My father had just sold me off.

Bartered my body to erase his debt to the very devil himself.

A Beast of a man. Literally.

A creature whispered about amongst the villagers and feared by all.

He was a beastly visage at three times the size of a man, his monstrously huge body covered in fur. Sharp fangs and eyes that held an unearthly red glow. He had pawlike hands tipped with claws and horns that arched back from his inhuman face.

I was to live with him, to be his in every way—all ways—he saw fit.

I was to be his wife, and so I offered myself up as the proverbial sacrifice to the very devil himself.

I just didn’t expect to enjoy being with a monster as much as I did. 

My thoughts: Where to start with The Beast? As someone who loves both Beauty and the Beast retellings and monster romances, this book was right up my alley. I thought Snow did a good job at incorporating some classic Beauty and the Beast references (the roses, character names) while also making the story wholly and uniquely her own. Obviously, the Beast did return to his human form in the original story; however, in Snow's retelling, there's no magic involved, no human form to return to. The Beast is a beast for better or for worse, and it was thrilling to watch Belle fall for this hulking monster she found herself married to. 

The Beast was a pretty quick read; between the shorter page count and the action that kept me turning pages, I devoured this book in just a few hours. I loved how, over the course of the book, Belle came to realize that the monstrous-looking Beast was worthy of love and people like Gaston were the real monsters despite their outward appearance. It's all your Beauty and the Beast morals, but with a very healthy dose of spice. 

I would safely say this retelling is not for everyone. As a monster romance, there are many interactions between Belle and the Beast that may cross some lines for people. Even before they get together physically, there are detailed scenes that illustrate how Belle is coming into her own as she begins to see the Beast as more than just her new husband. 

Overall, I loved the plot and spice of this Beauty and the Beast retelling. It's dark and steamy, but still manages to question society's labelling of what's monstrous versus what's humane. I also have to praise Snow for making Belle a fuller-figured woman; a large beast would snap the usual depiction of Belle in half, so I'm glad to see that representation logically added to this retelling. 

The Beast was a quick, fun read that definitely packed in the spice. Beauty and the Beast fans who love to indulge in monster romances will definitely not want to miss this one!

--------------------

Release date: 6/13/22
Format: ebook
Source: Amazon/Kindle Unlimited

Popular Posts