[ARC Review] My Lucky Star by Enni Amanda

Publisher's synopsis:
 Imagine having a celebrity doppelgänger. Now imagine a hot TV star asking you to impersonate that celebrity to save his career...

Failing to make it as an actress, Aria Dunne is back in her hometown of Napier, working as a location scout. No more unattainable dreams, just casual clothing and low expectations. Until she finds a Turkish TV star hiding out in the historic hotel she needs for her client.

Cem Erkam is desperate for good publicity after a drunken night ends with compromising photos. With his family banking on his success, he hatches a wild plan – a fake relationship with the New Zealand woman who looks like his old co-star. He just needs to keep his hands off her since they have no future. That's what everyone's saying, and they're right. But the more time they spend together, the harder it is to stick to the script.

Swept into Istanbul's glitz and glamour, Aria is forced to re-evaluate her sensible life plan. Should she give her acting dream one more go? And what is she supposed to do with the Turkish heartthrob and the most unattainable dream of all?  

My thoughts: I don't think I've ever wanted a couple to end their fake dating charade as much as I've wanted Aria and Cem to end theirs. The chemistry between these two was immediate and I needed to see them accept their love for each other before the final chapters. 

I love Enni Amanda's stories, but I think My Lucky Star is my favorite. It touches on so much: celebrity culture, Turkish and Kiwi culture, the film industry (and acting in general), imposter syndrome, and the expectations we put on ourselves and others. 

Aria was so easy to relate to; after feeling like a failure at her dream career and moving back home, it only seemed natural that Aria would question the sincerity of the heartthrob actor who was linked to a successful actress who looked just like Aria. If I was Aria, I would have a hard time believing such a turn of events, too. 

Cem seemed almost too good to be true. A famous actor with good looks and a good heart, he spent most of the story willing to put what he wanted on the backburner just to keep everyone else happy. He wanted to take care of his parents, his brother, his ex... his current love interest. He had a big heart, maybe so big that it made trusting Aria's heart to him a bit scary for her. 

It feels weird to say, but I loved how authentic Aria's imposter syndrome came through in Enni's writing. There were so many valid reasons for Aria to feel the way she did, and I couldn't help but appreciate the many ways that Enni depicted something that affects so many. 

My Lucky Star definitely seems like one of Enni's steamier novels. I went into the story expecting a slower burn, so I was pleasantly surprised when Aria and Cem got heated earlier than I expected. 

In the end, My Lucky Star was a story about following your dreams and following your heart, and featured some fantastic leads who beautifully fake dated their way from friends to lovers. 

[A huge thank you to Enni for sharing an advanced copy of My Lucky Star.]

--------------------

Release date: 6/15/23
Format: eARC
eARC provided via: the author

Popular Posts