[ARC Review] Primal by Jenika Snow

Publisher's synopsis:
 The first time I saw the beasts, I’d wandered off and gotten lost.
But I hadn't been alone. Not the entire time.
I’d been found, just not by something that was human.
Bear-beasts. They were myths whispered amongst the villagers and that parents told their children before bed to keep them inside, to make them fearful of what lurked in the dark.
Seven-foot-tall creatures covered in fur, with sharp claws, fangs, and the strength of a hundred men.
But the creature kept me safe and led me out of the woods.
I never saw it again, but I felt it—no, I felt 
them—watching me.
Following me.
Stalking me.
They waited for me all these years. Protected and provided for me, even when I hadn’t realized it.
Now, I was on my own, and not one but three primal beasts had come for me.
And what they wanted was simple:
To make me theirs in any way they saw fit.
I was Goldie, and these were now my three bears.
 
 

My thoughts: Primal was an entertaining read, but please be aware that it is a novella and there isn't much time wasted on exposition or plot development. I went in knowing this was less than ninety pages and lots had to happen between Goldie and her three bears in such a short amount of time, so I wasn't expecting much lead up or introduction. I was actually pleasantly surprised on the amount of time we get with Goldie before she joins her bears. I was expecting a super-fast burn, but Snow definitely took the time to establish Goldie, Bear, Bruin, and Ursid as characters in their own right before diving into the steam. 

If you've ever read Jenika Snow, you know the kind of detail that goes into her spicy scenes. In Primal, she features three, humanoid bear creatures and one very human girl. Goldie might be curvy, but she is still no match for the size of her three bears. Snow pulls no stops once these four finally get together, and I found it hard to put the book aside at that point. With no shortage of description, Goldie's time with her new loves was engrossing and definitely fulfilling. 

A short read with just enough plot and lots of spice, this monster romance is loosely based on the Goldilocks and the Three Bears story and will leave readers feeling like all three bears are just the right size. 

[A huge thank you to Jenika Snow for providing an advanced review copy of Primal!]

--------------------

Release date: 5/8/23
Format: eARC
eARC provided via: the author

Popular Posts