[Review] Ouch! My Vampire Doms Don’t Sparkle by Calista Jayne

Publisher's synopsis:
 These kinky vampires are nothing like the heroes from my teenage romance novels.

I’m still hiding from my homicidal stepfather, and I’m now housed in the library of two wickedly-sexy vampires.

I’m doing my best not to fall for my protectors. Xander is rude, gruff, and reserved. But his commitment to my safety is unwavering, and the looks he casts in my direction leave my head spinning.

Will, however—he’s all-in. He feeds me, protects me, treats me like his little princess. This is the caretaking I didn’t know I needed, the stern discipline I’ve always craved.

While I’m in hiding, they’re facing a danger of their own. A vampire from their past has returned, and this guy is so dangerous he makes my stepdad look like a teddy bear. Xander and Will don’t want me to meet him, but they’ll be in danger if I don’t go. And if I do go? I might not survive.  

My thoughts: If the first novella in the Vampire Doms series was the introduction to the characters and the paranormal world that Jayne has created, then Ouch! My Vampire Doms Don't Sparkle truly started to set up the over-arching plot and villain for the series. 

Just like the first novella, I sped through this story and ended up satisfied and excited for what will come next for Autumn, Will, and Xander. Jayne definitely built upon the dynamics between Will, Xander, and Autumn; I loved the progress that Autumn and Will made, and was happy to see Xander finally coming around to Autumn being in his life. 

I thought Jayne created a nice dynamic between Will and Xander. I felt like we got more of their shared lives in this novella, and their years of history together came through. It was clear by the end of this book that these three belong together as a unit, and as good as Autumn and Will are together, they are not meant to be just the two of them. 

Jayne took us to new locations in this novella, and I loved the descriptions and scenes as each new chapter unfolded. It was easy to visualize everything happening on the page, and easy to feel everyone's emotions as bigger dangers came into play. 

I loved that Jayne introduced a new enemy into the plot during this novella. Now that Autumn is running from her past and has to be cautious of her present, the stakes are even higher for her and she's going to have to truly rely on her vampires to keep her safe. These three really started to grow together in this novella, and I can't wait to see them continue on their journey. 

--------------------

Release date: 9/26/23
Format: ebook
Ebook purchased via: Amazon/Kindle

Popular Posts