[ARC Review] I Saw Her First by Jen Morris

PUBLISHER'S SYNOPSIS: Passion ignites when a sweet barista and widowed father give in to their forbidden attraction in this steamy, emotional romance about the power of love to heal grief.

Daisy

I never planned on being a virgin at twenty-five, stuck in a dead-end job. And I definitely didn’t plan to fall for Weston, the married hottie in a suit who likes my daily coffee art. At least I think he does. He doesn’t smile much.

Then I meet Jesse. He’s charming and more than happy to relieve me of my V-card, but is he really the one? My world turns upside down when I learn Jesse's father is Weston, my secret crush. Even more surprising? Weston isn't married.

And that changes everything.

Weston

After losing my wife three years ago, I’ve lived in a haze of pain and grief, made worse by my son Jesse’s refusal to talk to me. The only light in the darkness is Daisy, the beautiful barista at my local coffee shop. There’s a connection between us despite our age difference, and I intend to make her mine—until Jesse introduces Daisy as his girlfriend.

Seeing them together drives me crazy, especially as I watch him take her for granted. The more time I spend around her, the more I want her for myself, but it might cost me my son…

Even if I saw her first.

MY THOUGHTS: If you are looking for an age gap romance with the perfect blend of steamy protector and nurturing caregiver, look no further than I Saw Her First. Weston is everything I look for in an age gap romance, and both Daisy and Wes had such fulfilling journeys to go on to get to their happily ever after. 

I can't remember the last time I read an age gap romance that kept me this invested in their emotional journey, not just their physical relationship. For Daisy, that journey meant finally getting closure on her relationship with her parents. For Wes, it took the form of accepting that his wife was gone; not moving on and removing her from his life, but acknowledging that that part of his life could no longer be the same. And both Daisy and Wes's journeys involved Wes's son, Jesse, and helping him get to a good place in his life as well. There was a lot for all the main characters to unpack, and Morris did an excellent job at moving both the romance and the life events along at the perfect pace. 

I loved these characters. They were realistic, facing some very hard decisions and coming out even better on the other side. I was never taken out of the story because of some choice that was made, and I Saw Her First was even more enjoyable for it. Wes was definitely the kind of book boyfriend I love to see. He was protective and caring, but maybe his best characteristic was the fact that he was supportive. Even when he wasn't with Daisy, he wanted to see her follow her passion and supported that one hundred percent. 

I Saw Her First was fun, steamy, and an all around enjoyable romance. The plot had more than enough substance, the characters were dynamic, and Morris's love for New York continues to shine through with every story she writes. 

[A huge thank you to the author for providing a review copy of this title. All opinions are my own.]

--------------------

Release date: 10/9/24
Format: eARC
eARC provided via: the author

Popular Posts